Saturday, November 14, 2009

New Recipe-Must try

I got a bug to do some cooking today.  I have been craving twice baked potatos for a while now and I found a recipe for Carrot and Squash Curry soup AND I had quite a few frozen bananas just begging to be made into banana bread.  So I made all 3.  However, the recipe I feel I must share is the one for the soup.  I found it on The Pioneer Woman website and made a few modifications.  It is the perfect fall/winter soup and so delicious.  I'm glad I decided to do some cooking!!

Ingredients

3 Teaspoons Olive Oil
5 Gloves garlic, minced
1 whole large onion, diced
3 whole carrots, washed and sliced thin
1 1/2 Acorn squash, baked and cubed
Salt to Taste
1 Tablespoon Curry powder (more to taste- I used more!!)
1/2 cup dry white wine
48 ounzes chicken broth
Heavy Cream

Preparations

Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and stir to coat. Add carrots and cook for 3 minutes, or until they start to get soft. Sprinkle in a little salt.
Add squash. Stir and cook for a few minutes, until squash is soft and tender. After a few minutes, add salt to taste and the curry powder.
Pour in wine if using. Let evaporate for about 30 seconds, then pour in chicken broth. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover pot, and cook for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, taste and adjust seasonings. Turn off heat.

Enjoy!  Your tummy will be happy.
Puree soup using an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender. Return to soup pot and bring to a simmer. Serve hot.
Drizzle heavy cream over the top at leisure.

No comments:

Post a Comment